When your parent or loved one begins to show signs of Alzheimer’s or deteriorating health, it’s natural to want to jump right into researching 24 hour care agencies in the Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Belleair and Safety Harbor region. But you may find yourself doubting your judgment and debating whether or not home support is necessary. Here are five signs to look for when deciding what level of help your aging parent, grandparent or spouse needs:
- Wandering or Getting Lost. If a person is elderly or has early onset dementia, loss of direction and focus is common in the later phases. If left unattended, the individual may simply wander away and get lost, putting themselves in potentially dangerous situations in Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Belleair or Safety Harbor.
- Aggression or Hostility. It’s extremely common for those struggling with Alzheimer’s to exhibit signs of aggression, either through physical force or violent language. These actions are a symptom of the disease that causes the person to say and do things they never would prior to the illness. These outbursts are difficult for the patient, as well as the family. A 24 hour care worker is trained to handle such episodes.
- Loss of Self-Sufficiency. If your loved one can no longer navigate the stairs of their home or feed themselves, that’s a strong indicator it’s time to find a reputable 24 hour care organization in the Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Belleair and Safety Harbor area.
- Sundowning Syndrome. Sundowning syndrome is a unique characteristic of Alzheimer’s where the individual gets extremely agitated in the evenings, causing them great fear or discomfort. Soothing them can be extremely challenging, and these episodes can be particularly disruptive to a household routine.
- Extensive Medical Needs. There are occasions where your loved one’s health demands are simply greater than you can provide. Whether it’s a strict medication regimen or the need for physical support, your family member needs special attention. This can be difficult if you’re acting as their caretaker while trying to keep up with your daily life. Consider how a trained professional that offers 24 hour care might be able to help you in Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Belleair, and Safety Harbor.
When It’s Time For 24 Hour Care
If your parent or family member is displaying any of these signs, it’s time to have a discussion together to decide how to move forward. We understand that this is tough, but believe it’s important to know that you have more options than just moving your parent to an assisted living facility; instead, you can bring in 24 hour care anywhere in the Palm Harbor, Clearwater, Belleair or Safety Harbor areas. Here at Home Care Assistance Tampa Bay, we allow seniors to maintain their independence in their home where they feel most comfortable. We provide constant attention by trained staff who will help patients with daily tasks, meal preparation, transportation, and more. For more information or to speak with a manager, please call us at 727-330-7862.