The brain undergoes significant changes as it ages, leaving it more vulnerable to memory loss and overall cognitive decline. While there is no way to completely prevent the onset of severe memory loss or associated conditions such as dementia, researchers claim there are foods that can bolster brain power and overall cognitive vitality. Here are just a few foods that all seniors should start eating today to promote brain performance, presented by Tampa Bay Home Care Assistance.
- Blueberries – These small berries pack a big health punch and are known to protect the brain against oxidative stress which can lead to conditions such as Alzheimer’s. Researchers have also found that blueberries improve a person’s learning ability and can even help improve motor skills.
- Fish – Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, fatty fish such as salmon are packed with nutrients like DHA hat help improve brain cell membranes. These nutrients promote brain health and can facilitate communication between brain cells. Fish eaten three times a week can cut Alzheimer’s disease risks by as much as 39 percent.
- Whole Grains – Whole grains are essential in providing energy to the body. The glucose supplied to the brain improves mental alertness and when a steady stream of glucose supplied to the brain, it can improve the mind’s ability to concentrate and maintain focus.
- Avocados – This powerful superfruit is full of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Avocados are also rich in monounsaturated fats which work together synergistically to optimize blood flow to the brain. Avocados also lower cholesterol levels in the body and facilitate the absorption of antioxidants in the body’s system.
- Celery – Packed with luteolin, celery can reduce inflammation in the brain, which is the leading cause of neurodegeneration and some studies say it can help reduce the incidence of memory loss. Luteolin also slows the aging process in all cells in the body, including brain cells.
Incorporating these foods into a diet can improve cognitive functioning and overall quality of life. If you or an aging parent or loved are interested in how to best incorporate these foods into a daily diet or need assistance with preparing nutritious meals, consider help from a Home Care Assistance caregiver. Trained in our Balanced Care Method™, our caregivers ensure healthy lifestyles for their clients and stress the importance of holistic living.
For more information about our care services contact a friendly Care Manager at 727-330-7862. While we specialize in Tampa Bay live-in care, we also provide care on an hourly basis, ideal for seniors who need a little extra help with household chores, personal care and transportation. Call us today – we look forward to hearing from you!